Winston Churchill once said, “To improve is to change and to be perfect is to change often.” The world is uncertain and changes are inevitable. Change is the only constant and this change is required in every field for continuity of not just business but also life. To ensure that the employees are responsive and dedicated to the workflow, a future-forward layout is required. When the question of Business Continuity arises technology plays an underlying role.
As per Forbes, approximately 70% of companies either have a digital transformation strategy in place or are working on one. 21% of companies think they’ve already completed the digital transformation. The COVID-19 spread has been a major boost in this transition where social distancing norms resulted in an upsurge of remote working options.
What is the importance of Business Continuity?
Every organization must have a business continuity plan in order to keep the company functioning. This is essential for not just the respect and credibility of the business but this also ensures that the hands behind its success are well paid.
Keeping updated with the technological advancements helps an organization to be on par with its competition in the market. In the current scenario, almost all sectors have some or majority of companies operating from home. A significant rise has been witnessed in the section of remote working employees from different parts of the country. Coordination is seen as a major challenge because this workforce is located in different nooks and corners of the nation. Hence, there is a need for a proper tracking mechanism that integrates with the HCM solution for coordination and managing employee data.
The above mentioned is not the only hurdle, there are others namely threat of data-theft, irregularity in work allotted and delivered, unavailability of proper internet facilities, etc. To manage all these, every organization needs a single portal where they can streamline their employees, tasks, leaves etc.
These are some vitals for the continuity of business. This continuity is required to be future-proof so that whenever another COVID-19 like situation arrives, businesses are well prepared in advance. We must also ensure that in need when we level up, we do not have to distort the ongoing systems much.
How does HR contribute to making a business future-proof?
The Human Resource Management of a company has an extremely essential role in the continuity of business. HR is the face and voice of an organization. It represents the values and cultures of the company. Human Resource Management of all companies can take these steps to ensure their organization is future-proof:
- Hiring Tech Talent – The workforce of an organization must be tech-savvy. For this, the HR of every organization must ensure that the candidate they are hiring is willing and capable of adapting to technological advancements.
- Training sessions for existing employees – Since the role of technology in the continuity of business has long been neglected there may be instances where the workforce of a company is not accustomed to the changes. To deal with this, the HR department of the organization should arrange for training sessions to enable the existing workforce to cope up with the advancements.
- Proposing budgets for technological additions – ‘Charity begins at home’, likewise change must start from the HR department itself. HR managers should initiate changes in their daily workflow and convince higher authorities for the same. This can be done with robust HRMS software.
How does technology help future-proof a business?
There are various ways and means in which technology is aiding in making a business future-proof. Organizational agility can be brought about by eliminating nimble execution. HR managers can turn their business to buffer against crisis and make maximum use of the opportunity in hand. Some of these ways are mentioned below with a brief explanation.
- Streamlined workforce: As per reports 84% of office workers believe that cross-department coordination is going to be the greatest hurdle for them. This can be dealt with by having a single portal where all departments have access to each other’s opinions and assistance.
- Brings about Intelligent Innovations: With the introduction of cloud-based technology, a lot of data can be stored by companies without the threat of data theft. Why should you be managing data in paperwork and hustling to find them in times of need when you can have them all in one place. Hiring managers can have all these data secured in their mobile phones and laptops.
- Delivering Virtual Reality: The majority of the workforce has transitioned to work from home module and the only thing binding people together is technology. With remote work locations becoming an upsurging interest, communication can only be done through mobile phones and video conferencing. This becomes a daunting task when the workforce is not aligned. A robust technology comes to the rescue in such situations.
- The Mobile-age: It is the technology that has enabled companies to have their internal and external workflow managed in their hands. With the tech advancements, we can now have all information in just a few clicks.
When the entire nation went into complete lockdown it became a task for small businesses especially start-ups to manage their businesses from home. Zoom came to the rescue of such businesses in these demanding times where it enabled connectivity. The highly dispersed workforce was able to solve their queries by easily connecting to each other from remote locations. Not just this, even the HR Managers were able to hire new resources with its help. Even to this day businesses are dependent on this portal for reaching out to their employees. This is just an instance of how technology has been helping future-proof a business.
These are just a few references about how technology helps future proof a business and how HR managers can take assistance from the same. The present scenario that the world is facing is symbolic enough of the uncertainties that the future holds. A company should be willing and capable enough to adapt to these tech advancements to be future-ready. Business continuity is a challenge and one must be resolute enough to be able to face and overcome it. Natural disaster, data theft, mechanical failure, viral outbreak, or a human error, a robust HCM solution helps tackle them all.